Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Baptism, Birthday, and just fun pictures

We have had some great things happening in our family lately. We'll start off with the best thing, which was that Heidi turned 8 and recently was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! I can't believe how the time has flown by with our oldest. She has grown up so fast. You always hear that but don't get it until you recognize it in your own life. Ashley said something so funny the other day. The girls had gotten up to go to school. They had woken up about an hour before we needed to leave to take them, of course, we mosied in getting ready and were racing out the door to get them to school with no minutes to spare. As we started heading towards the school, we said a prayer that we would get to school on time. After the prayer was over, Ashley said, "Mom, our time goes by too fast, doesn't it?" I replied that "it definitely did" she then responded, "we should get a new clock!" It was hilarious!! I busted out laughing. I love the things my kids say. They are so true, yet so so funny!
Heidi had a very special Baptism. Her Grandpa and Grandma Hughes were able to come out for the special day and her Grandma Mangum made her Baptismal dress (which she loved). Other family members sent some very thoughtful gifts that we sooo appreciated! We wish that you all could have been here for it!!!! She had great support from our ward members and Charlottesville friends with over 70 people showing up. She was baptized and confirmed by Kevin. Her Grandpa Hughes and I said the prayers. Kevin and her Grandma Hughes spoke and the songs that we sang were "If the Savior Stood Beside Me", "When Jesus Christ was Baptized" and "Baptism". It really was a special day. We then went and had a great nachos and taco salad luncheon following the baptism. After all of this was over, we went home and opened gifts that some of our sweet family sent and gifts that Kevin and I had gotten her. One of our very favorite parts of that afternoon was that the Hughes family had gotten together and made posters and a video congratulating Heidi! We watched it over again a couple times and cried each time. It was so thoughtful!!!!! There is a picture of Heidi looking at the posters (that are now hung in her room) below. We then went to eat, again, at Red Robin and then relaxed the rest of the time. It was a beautiful day to the fullest extent! Following are the pictures!
Just outside our home on Baptism Day! Kevin and Heidi (this one's my favorite) I love their smiles!

Us girls right after changing.
Heidi getting ready to go.
I just thought this was sooo cute.
Heidi at the church before going in. Ashley actually took this picture. Not so bad, eh?
This is one of the posters that was made by the Hughes family. As you can tell my the look on her face, she LOVED it! What can I say, we all did!
The girls love the shakes at Red Robin!
Before Kevin's parents left, we were trying to take some family pictures. Kevin wanted to try the "automatic shoot" on the camera. This was us trying to get it right. I just think this is sooo funny, because Kevin is running so fast trying to make it back for the pose, and doesn't quite make it in time. It doesn't seem like Nathan minded though. He's having a blast. haha
We took a few shots, but this was the best it was going to get!
Some single shots of the kids with their grandparents. Just Stinkin' Adorable if you ask me!






Kevin saying goodbye to his parents. Kevin loves picking up his dad and mom and giving them lots of love! haha. They HATE it! hahaha!
CAUGHT, RED HANDED! Ashley snuck into Grandma and Grandpa's rental car and hid in the back before they took off. It was as they were pulling away that she popped her head up and said she was going with them to see her cousins. I had to get a picture it was so cute!
On Heidi's Birthday, we played all day. Heidi wanted to get her ears pierced for her birthday and wanted to have donuts, not a cake (must be the Mangum in her, haha). So we took her to get her ears pierced and by the looks of the person doing the piercing, she had a lot of experience! Kevin and I laughed and said if we had to pick anyone to pierce Heidi's ears it would be her. (She had many multiple peircings all over). All went well, she only cried for a second. We came home had donuts, opened presents, and Heidi and I went shopping and to a late night movie together. It was fun!

Heidi pulling off the candles of her favorite donut. Yum, Yum!
I just thought this was a funny picture of Brooke. It looks like she is looking to see if it really is okay that she eats the donut. Her face is so funny.For Heidi's friend Birthday party, I made a real cake. The theme was a sleepover party with out the sleepover (pretty much a pajama party). So I made a cake that looked like little girls at a sleepover. Heidi and I together, in our pj's and sleeping masks, with the cake.
A close up of the cake. Isn't it cool!!!!
She had a lot of friends over as you can tell! For the party favors, she handed out sleeping masks and journals with ring pops. Face masks off!
Face masks on!

Through the night we did lots of sleepover activities, along with opening presents and cake and ice cream, from pillow fights too...
Limbo, to ....
Dancing, (it was really cute Grandma was in the kitchen working on a ton of food for the next day (bless you, mama), when all the girls came in and convinced her to dance with them (she is such a good sport) the girls loved it!!! She showed them how they shook their thang in the old days)to...

A major marshmallow fight. We separated the room in half and built up baracades for the girls to fight eachother, but then as soon as Kevin and I came in, they all came together and attacked us. It was great! This is Kevin getting totally pelted.
I found marshmallows for weeks after. The funniest one that I found, was in the lamp next to where Kevin is standing. I was cleaning my front room and heard this sizzling sound. I looked all over and found that it was coming from the lamp. I tilted it down and noticed that a half burnt marshmallow was roasting by the hot lightbub. Anyone for s'mores??? I know it was dangerous, but really funny!
More marshmallow fights! After all of that was over, everyone sacked out and watched one of Heidi's favorite movies, Mr. Bean's Holiday and ate a ton of goodies. The party was really such a blast! I was talking to one of Heidi's friend's moms a few days later and she told me that her daughter came home and said "Mom, that was one of the two funnest days of my life!" her mom said, "well what was the other one?" the little girl replied, "the day I was born." We got a great laugh out of that!
Now are just some random pictures that I thought I would put in. Kevin and I love how Brooke is starting to get our attention. It is so cute, she'll grab our face and lay a big wet kiss on you! Its soo cute!
I love how much she smiles and laughs. If I'm laughing, she does too and I love it!
Check out the little curls she's getting and that cute smile!
The day before Valentines Day, Ashley had a bring your parents and grandparents to school party with little heart learning games. She lucked out and actually had her sweet Hughes grandparents here. Thanks for coming out, guys! If you click to enlarge the picture you can see Brooke's face. It is hilarious, she didn't enjoy it as much. haha
However, Nathan and Ashley had a great time. Nathan felt like a big boy with all the big elementary school kids!

We went to Dick's Sporting Goods while Grandpa and Grandma were here, and I lost Ashley for a second, when I found her, this is what she looked like. hahaha. She is so funny! She's always putting on different clothes where ever she is at!
There is a bounce house place here that the kids like to go to, so of course we had to take Grandpa and Grandma to it as well. Here are some pictures from there.
Doesn't this look like fun?
This is Nathan trying to fight the little blown up knight. He got pretty bored when the knight wouldn't fight back.
Brooke coming off the slide. I think she liked it!
One thing our kids love to do when the weather simmers a little is have a good swing at the park. If you enlarge it, you can actually see the kids faces.




As we were preparing Heidi to be baptized we would talk a lot about her baptism as well as her receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. We had a family night on the purpose of the Holy Ghost as well as many talks on the subject. A few days prior to Heidi's baptism, Ashley said the prayers a lot for meals and bedtime. Every time she would say them, she would always make sure to say, "and Heavenly Father, please bless that Heidi will feel the spirit in her heart everyday after she is baptized." Talk about melting a mama's heart! It is a tender thing for a mother to hear her child pray to Heavenly Father that their sibling will continue to have the Holy Ghost with them. She now will say periodically in her prayers, "please bless that when I am baptized I can feel the Holy Ghost in my heart, too." She has also said, "please bless that me and Heidi will start trusting our mama and daddy more so that we can make better choices." (I think that one is my favorite...haha) I love listening to my kids pray. I really feel like it is a tender mercy of our Heavenly Father to have the gospel in my life and to be able to raise my kids in it. How blessed we are to know that there is a Father in Heaven to go to whenever we want and that our kids know the same thing.
These are some fun pictures of our family night about the Holy Ghost. "Ears to hear the Holy Ghost and a Heart to feel it." One may think that I modeled the ears after my own big ears, however I did not, it was a template. hahahaha!


And Brooke, of course, did not want to wear hers. But, she's cute enough to end off this post!

10 comments:

Allison said...

My gosh, there is so much to comment on that I don't know where to begin. It looks like Heidi had a wonderful baptism and some really great memories for her 8th birthday. It looked like so much fun!I love my boys, but I, like you, am so happy to have a girl so that I can keep doing fun, girly things!
Brooke has changed so much! She is so sweet and I love the fact that she is constantly smiling! I guess it has been a while since we have seen you! We are going to Busch Gardens in April, maybe we will come and visit!
All the pictures are great!

Michelle Campbell said...

Oh Jess! I love the whole thing! I miss you soosoooo soooo much! Heidi's baptism sounds wonderful! What a special time for her and your whole family. I'm so glad that Gwen and Bob were able to come, and do so many things with you guys and your kids. I totally love the pics of her dancing with all the girls. I was laughing out loud! haha. I can't believe how curly Brookster's hair is getting. So cute. I'm totally stealing the birthday idea for Emma's 8th (i'm sure you won't mind.) :) I love all the pics and am so happy you posted. You are the best mom and such a good example to me. I love Ashley's prayers... what an angel. Nathan's face in the "kevin running for the pic" picture was so funny too. I so wish you guys lived closer. I hope you get the fellowship in Denver! (Boston would be cool too though)... as long as you guys move closer to here when Kevin is totally finished. I have big time Jessica withdrawals. :)

weavers said...

I can't believe how time has flown! It seems like only a year ago that you found out you were having a girl and moved over to the old apartment!(I'm talking about Heidi) I can't believe she is 8! You guys all look so happy:) I love your pj party idea! That was soo cute!

mckeehan said...

Wow Jess!! when you said said update your blog, you took her seriously. Its is so neat to see your little family growing up. I hope you guys get to be closer tohome soon.

Megan said...

Congrats to Heidi! We're so excited for her! It's so fun to see all the great things the Hughes' are doing--what a great family you guys are!

Tara said...

Jess,

Your family is so cute! It sounds like her Baptism/Birthday were wonderful. The sleepover birthday is a great idea. Julia would love that. Her b-day is coming up and I've been asking her what she wants to do and she wants a sleep-over, but I can't go for that. A lateover sounds like a much better idea! I read Michelle's comment and it sounds like you guys are on the move again? Is it still between Boston or Denver? They both sound great. I'm not sure if you knew that my sister Stephanie lived in Boston for 3 years while her husband was in school? Anyway, I went and stayed with her for a month and it was awesome. So much history and so much to do with the kids. Bob and I also went out recently and loved it. We want to take a trip there next summer with the whole family. If you are there we will have to meet up with you. For law school we lived about 6 hours from Denver and passed through all the time. It seems like a great place too! Good luck with choosing.

Wow- I apparently should have mailed you a letter or given you a phone call, but this will have to do!

Liz said...

Hello old friend! (It's Liz from Med school.) I'm so glad you are blogging, wow, the kids have grown so much. I have added you to my google reader and will check on you frequently. It looks like Virginia is treating you well, I'm glad to see it.

Unknown said...

Jessica! Your baby is an absolute doll! I couldn't stop looking at the picture of her with the donut! It was fun to see those pictures of the sleep over...it reminded me of many fun sleepovers that we had at your house growing up. Your family seems really happy and you deserve it!

Amy Joy said...

This made me cry thinking of when our girls were babies. I need a new clock too! Emma will turn 8 next year. I am very excited. Your family is so beautiful. Your kids all look so much alike. So fun to see how you are doing. Good luck with your move. I am trying to get James away from the fellowship:). He is thinking along the lines of ICU. I can hang on:)

The Banner Family said...

Yeah what a special day for you guys- such a big day! Love you guys!